The “Agios Georgios Sikousis” Society was organized in 1920 in Trenton, New Jersey. The purpose of the organization was to help new immigrants from the village of Agios Georgios Sikousis and the financing of various projects in the village.
In 1934 immigrants from Agios Georgios in Lancaster Pennsylvania create their own Society. In 1950-1951 they send to Agios Georgios the then large amount of $35,000 for the building of a new school.
In 1967 the Society was re-established with new blood, new immigrants many living in New York.
Some of the events of the Society is the annual dance in New York, the picnic in Trenton at the beginning of the summer and the church service in honor of the patron saint of the Society, Saint George. In the past, the Society also held an annual carnival dance in February where the old traditions of the pre-Lent period were re-created.
For many years, the Society published the magazine “Sikousis” which for a period was the only Chian magazine in the western hemisphere. The society has helped for various projects both here and in Chios with amounts that total over $300,000 in the last 35 years. In addition it has financed the publishing of two books about the history and culture of the village of Agios Georgios Sikousis. The Society is a founding member, stanch supporter and financial contributor of the Chian Federation of New York.
In 2017, the latest iteration of the Syllogos was incorporated as St George Sikousis Syllogos, Ltd and has filed the proper paperwork and been recognized with the IRS as a 501 (c)(3) Tax Exempt Organization.
Through the Board’s hard work we were able to publish the English Language Version of the History Book; The Village – Agios Georgios Sikousis by Pantelis Mavrogeorgis. We also held the 500th Anniversary Gala at the Venetian Catering Hall in Garfield, NJ, a sold-out event that hosted 450+ persons as well as a worldwide audience via FaceBook Live.